Santa Maria Tri-Tip Roast
Recipe provided by the Certified Angus Beef® brand
Delight your guests with this tender, juicy Santa Maria Tri-tip Roast. The simple 5-ingredient rub adds the perfect blend of salty sweetness to a popular cut of beef. Serves 6
1 (3-pound) Certified Angus Beef ® tri-tip roast
1/2 cup coarse kosher salt
1/2 cup cracked black pepper
1/4 cup granulated honey (or granulated raw sugar)
2 tablespoons granulated garlic
2 tablespoons onion powder
- Combine salt, pepper, granulated honey, garlic and onion powder.
- Evenly rub tri-tip roast with 3 to 4 tablespoons of spice rub. Store excess Santa Maria spice rub in an airtight container in a cool, dry cupboard.
- Cover tightly in plastic wrap or zipper-locking plastic bag. Refrigerate at least 2 hours, or overnight for more intense flavor.
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Place roast in a shallow roasting pan fitted with a rack. Roast 15 minutes, then reduce oven to 325°F and continue cooling approximately 1 hour for medium doneness (135-140°F).
- Move to a clean cutting board, tent with foil and let rest 10 minutes. Slice thinly against the grain to serve.
- Santa Maria spice rub recipe yields approximately 2 cups, enough for at least five 3-pound tri-tip roasts.